(First Created: 7/11/2022 Last Edit: 11/26/2022)
This categorized list is our recommendation of mostly self-hosted, open-source private alternatives to public services (PAPS).
- NextCloud – open-source self-hosted cloud storage with encryption support. Lost of plugins available, like Documents Editor, Talk, Calendar, Tasks Manager and more.
- BTC Pay Server – no need in special introduction. This is a one-stop solution to accepting Bitcoin on your website. Altcoins support also available. Self-hosted, free, open-source, reliable, well designed and constantly updated.
- OneClickCDN – the name says it all. Easy-to-use, free, open-source and very small script for building your own CDN network or host. Build-in SSL support, caching and statistics.
- Pritunl Server and Client – best alternative to the native OpenVPN server and client. Easy to deploy, open-source, free, a lot of configuration options and constantly updated.
- Bitcoin.org – original Bitcoin website which was initially registered by Satoshi Nakamoto. Being a community funded project, it provides a handful list of resources and information dedicated to Bitcoin.
- Electrum – one of the most trusted and secure self-custody Bitcoin wallets. Electrum is decentralized, supports cold storage watch-only wallets and hardware wallets.
- Ubuntu – #1 alternative to Windows and MacOS. Intuitive GUI, constant updates and LTS releases, strong AES encryption, lovely terminal. [installation instructions]
- PGPtool – Java-based PGP encryption software. Windows/Linux/MacOS supported. Easy encrypt/decrypt/re-encrypt functions, public/private keys management.